Summer is already here! Have you been enjoying the outdoors? Make sure you wear protective sunglasses. Come in for an eye exam with us today and we can write you a prescription for sunglasses as well!
It is often said that mom’s often have eyes in the back of their heads. No matter how many eyes she may have, show your mom how awesome she is, and how much you appreciate her, by making sure she schedules her annual eye exam. We will be open this Mother’s Day and have available appointments at all four of our locations.
By Jefferson, Lin O.D.
Don’t forget to bring your kids for an eye exam before school starts!
If you notice your kids
- are having difficulty reading
- eye rubbing
- or even tilting their head
They may have a vision issue!
An eye exam would help clear up any problems before it starts to affect their school work.
We want your kids to do well in school and want their eyes to perform at their best.
At Drs. North and Watson, we provide comprehensive eye exams that test the eye coordination as well as eye teaming skills of all our patients.
The newest contact lenses have arrived in our office, Air Optix Colors. This is an exciting time for those contact lens wearers currently wearing and those interested in color contact lenses. The technology for colored contact lenses has remained dormant for quite sometime.
Alcon Air Optix Colors is the first color contact lens to be offered in a Silicone Hydrogel material. Why is that exciting? Air Optix Colors have combined a beautiful color with the lens allowing 6x more oxygen to your eye and the plasma coated surface is more comfortable.
Air Optix Colors is available in 9 colors that can enhance light or dark eyes. If you currently wear and have a valid prescription for Air Optix Aqua (clear), you are able to order Air Optix Colors at anytime without any additional contact lens evaluations or office visits. If you are new to this brand of contact lenses, please contact our office to schedule an appointment.
By: Jefferson Lin, OD
It’s that wonderful time of the year when the Minnesota snow has finally melted away and the sun has come out to play! From fishing, hiking, boating, and enjoying the weather many of us are able to see the sights and sounds of the great Minnesotan outdoors without the problems of allergies. With all of these fun activities come the inevitable allergies that put a damper on some of the fun. What if you’re one of the unfortunate few that suffer from EYE allergies?
Rest assured! Drs. North and Watson have some tips to reduce those itchy, watery eye symptoms.
1. Figure out what is causing the allergies! Is it pollen, animal dander, dust, make up, or even certain foods? By figuring out what is really the issue, you’re a lot closer to breathing deeper and freely.
2. Avoid the allergen or change your environment. The best way to combat any allergen is to remove the offending agent entirely from your environment. You will reduce the incidences keep yourself happily doing what you do best!
3. Use over the counter (OTC) eye drops. If you cannot figure it out or cannot stay away from the allergen, the next best thing would be to alleviate some of the symptoms with anti allergy eye drops from your local pharmacy.
Alaway and Zaditor are over the counter drops that will help! They contain ketotifen 0.025% in either a 5ml or 10ml bottle form. These are second generation antihistamine H1 receptor drugs that act peripherally and more selective than first generation counterparts. It is just a fancy way of saying they have less side effects. Bottom line: they will help with the allergies and will not make you drowsy! The best part is they are a lot cheaper than prescription anti allergy drops.
Try your best to stay away from eye drops that say they get rid of red eyes. These drops do so by directly reducing the appearance of red eyes, not by getting to the root of the problem, the allergen! Long term use of any anti allergy drops is not recommended. The ideal solution is to identify and avoid the allergen. Drops like Zaditor and Alaway provide symptom relief so you can run away from those pesky flowers!
Most importantly make sure you come in and see your eye doctor if you continually experience eye allergies and OTC eye drops do not seem to help. A thorough evaluation by a professional will help get to the bottom of the problem.
If you have any questions, call our office or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
One of the newest products to arrive in our office is ULTRA Contact Lenses by Bausch & Lomb. If you are looking to try a new contact lens and/or are looking to improve the comfort and vision of your current contact lenses, make an appointment today. Talk with our eye care professionals and see if Bausch & Lomb ULTRA contact lenses would be right for you.
The following is information about the Ultra contact lens is courtesy of Bausch & Lomb:
Spending more time on digital devices may mean you are less satisfied with your contact lenses.2 Frequent use of a smart phone, tablet or computer may cause you to blink less, which could contribute to your contact lenses drying out.
In addition, you may experience symptoms such as:2
- Blurred vision
- Eye strain
- Tired eyes
- Delayed focusing
NEW! Bausch + Lomb ULTRA contact lenses with MoistureSeal technology – helps prevent lens dehydration that may be caused by reduced blink rates.4
Key Features & Benefits
NEW Bausch + Lomb ULTRA contact lenses with MoistureSeal technology Feature:
- MoistureSeal technology to help prevent lens dryness4
- Retain moisture for a full 16 hours3
- Provide superior end-of-day vision* for digital device users1
* Among the leading silicone hydrogel lenses
1. Results from a 22-investigator, multi-site study of Bausch + Lomb ULTRA contact lenses with MoistureSeal technology, on 327 current silicone hydrogel lens wearers. After 7 days of wear, subjects completed an online survey. Subjects rated performance across a range of attributes. Preference comparisons represent only those subjects expressing a preference. Ratio is based on the average across the silicone hydrogel lenses represented in the study.
2. Kadence International Exploring Contact Lens Drop-off May 2013
3. Data on file. Bausch & Lomb Incorporated. Rochester, NY; 2013.
4. Results of an in vitro study in which Bausch + Lomb ULTRA, ACUVUE OASYS, AIR OPTIX AQUA, and Biofinity contact lenses were placed on a model cornea with 0.18 μm of spherical aberration. Images were acquired every 10 seconds up to 30 seconds and analyzed using pattern matching algorithms. A score for each 10-second interval is determined by comparing how closely the test image matches the time 0 image. Mean scores over the 30-second interval were determined and compared.
Adrienne Broaddus from KARE 11 talks with Dr. Watson about digital eye strain in young adults. Dr Watson talks with a patient suspected of having digital eye strain. He also gives some tips on how to set up your work space to minimize an eye strain.
Please check out attached link to see the full story.
Having issues on the computer? Here are some tips to de-stress those eyes so you can stress out about other things.
Keep your glasses up to date! Your body changes over the years and so do your eyes! Have your eyes working comfortably with a new pair of updated glasses.
Keep your work environment eye friendly. Maintain good posture and good lighting conditions.
Take frequent breaks. Remember to look away from the computer every 20 minutes at something 20 feet away. It helps relax the eyes and keep them going through the day.
Bausch & Lomb has introduced a brand new contact lens solution called PeroxiClear. This is available in our offices for our patients to try. Retail stores will begin to see the product April-June 2014. PeroxiClear is a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. The solution is for all soft contact lenses, including silicone hydrogel and rigid gas permeable lenses.
- Superior All-Day Comfort
- Lenses are cleaner and moister for longer
- Exceptional disinfection in only 4 hours
Typically, hydrogen peroxide solutions are used with patients who have hypersensitivity to contact lenses and/or solutions. We recommend hydrogen peroxide solutions to patients with a history of allergies, eczema or prior contact lens related problems. The cleaning power of the hydrogen peroxide solution makes it a favorite solution for our doctors to recommend to all of our contact lens patients.
Drs. North & Watson is proud to introduce the newest contacts on the market! We have acquired new daily contact lenses for the presbyopic and astigmatic patients. We also have a new monthly contact lens that addresses the issues of discomfort and the high demands of today’s contact user, with many patients spending over 10 hours a day on digital devices.
We will profile the new contact lenses individually in future posts. Stay tuned!